Lesotho Promise Sells for $12.36 Million to SafdicoOctober 09, 06
The Lesotho Promise on display
during the HRD press conference
The result of the silent auction for the purchase of the diamond was announced during today’s press conference at the HRD in Antwerp, by Lesotho’s Minister of Natural Resources, Mamphono Khaketla, who came to Belgium for the occasion. The diamond was mined at Lesotho’s Letseng mine, in which the government holds a 30 percent stake. Gem Diamond Mining owns the remaining 70 percent.
Safdico is a partner of Graff, the London jewelry house known for its very high-end diamond jewelry, which is often set with exceptionally large diamonds. Safdico’s Yves Alexis said they expect the polished diamonds manufactured from the Lesotho Promise to retail at over $20 million.
The diamond was mined on August 22 and the auction started on October 4 –
Other known bidders for the stone include Alain Sternberg, Rosy Blue, and Omega Diamonds.